Goals and Objectives
The ICIC’s vision is to be the global forum which connects member Information Commissioners responsible for the protection and promotion of access to information laws in order to improve transparency and accountability to the benefit of everyone.
The ICIC’s mission is to share knowledge and best practices, to build capacity, to help identify what is needed for global progress and to act as a collective voice in international fora with a view to improving people’s right to public information and their ability to hold to account bodies that provide public functions.
The ICIC adheres to the following values:
- Respect and integrity
The goals of the ICIC are to:
- Protect and promote access to public information;
- Promote and support dialogue and mutual cooperation;
- Encourage the development and sharing of information and best practices, including peer learning;
- Undertake and support research on issues integral to access to public information;
- Develop the capacity of the ICIC;
- Help to develop the capacity of its registered members and increase membership ;
- Facilitate reflection and learning from case work on systemic issues;
- Act as a collective voice in the international community to raise awareness of issues that impact upon access to public information; and
- Promote the development and adoption of international standards in access to public information in all regions across the world, including the establishment of independent oversight bodies.