It borders to the north and east with the state of Veracruz, to the west with the states of Hidalgo, Tlaxcala, Mexico and Morelos and to the south with the states of Guerrero and Oaxaca.
- Geographic coordinates
Parallels 20° 50′ and 17° 52′ north latitude of the tropic of cancer and between meridians 96° 43′ and 99° 04′ west longitude of the Greenwich meridian.
Varies from tropical to dry.
- The state of Puebla was the second most important city during the time of New Spain. At the end of the 19th century, the state was one of the first to industrialize, thanks to the introduction of mechanical looms that favored the development of textile activities. Despite all this, in more recent times, municipalities in the Mixteca, Sierra Norte and Sierra Negra regions have become net expellers of population, whose main destinations are Mexico City, and since.
- The State is divided into 7 socioeconomic regions, these being region I Huauchinango; Region II Teziutlán; Region III Ciudad Serdán; Region IV San Pedro Cholula; Region V Puebla; Region VI Izúcar de Matamoros and Region VII Tehcán. Its political division consists of 217 municipalities.
- The State of Puebla is a legal and political entity, organized in accordance with the principles established by the Political Constitution of the United Mexican States in force adopts for its internal regime the republican, representative and popular form of government, having as base of its political and administrative organization the free Municipality.
- The renewal of legislative, executive and municipal powers shall be carried out by means of free, genuine and periodic elections in accordance with the respective electoral law, with the co-responsibility of citizens and political parties. The only instrument of expression of the popular will is the universal, free, secret and direct vote. Luis Miguel G. Barbosa Huerta is the current Constitutional Governor.
- The most important sectors in the state are: automotive and auto parts, metallurgy, chemistry, plastics, textiles and clothing, furniture, fresh and processed food, decoration articles, marble, mining and information technologies. Puebla showed an annual decrease of (-)7.5% during the first quarter of 2021, due to primary, secondary and tertiary activities, which reported a decrease of (-)3.1, (-)9 and (-)7%, respectively.
Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 2019 – Artisanal talavera of Puebla and Tlaxcala (Mexico).
- Its cuisine is the result of the mixture of local pre-Columbian cuisine and Spanish cuisine due to the Spanish colonial period in the country. The Puebla cuisine is based on the use of three main ingredients: corn, beans and chili, and although mole poblano, chiles en nogada and mole de caderas are the most representative dishes, the consumption of: appetizers, chalupas, cemitas, tamales or cakes. As for its sweets, the best known is the “poblano sweet potato” whose origin is estimated in the seventeenth century. It is prepared with: white sweet potato, sugar, water, lemons and glass sugar.